Jun 11, 2013

A Beautiful Vacation

Recently my husband, Charlie, and I went on a vacation that took us from Puerto Rico to five islands in the Eastern Caribbean. It was so beautiful in all the islands with the blue water and all the sights we took in. It was something we needed.

We left from Puerto Rico on a Carnival Cruise Line ship, the Valor. On every other cruise we have ever been on we saw all the shows at night, mingled with all the other guests and rose before the sun was up to watch us arrive at port from the main decks. This year was the first year we had a room with a balcony. We thought it was actually something would didn't have any need for since we spent little time in our room. We discovered on this cruise it was a welcome and much needed sanctuary.

Unlike previous years we didn't spend a lot of time roaming the ship at night. We retired early to our room to sit on the deck to watch the stars and moon, listen to the water, and talk. Life had hit us hard the past several years with the loss of our parents, illness, and family discord. We desperately needed the time to unwind from all of it.

I think this was one of the first times I have ever traveled that I wasn't anxious to get back home. I wasn't ready to give up that balcony or the beauty of the Caribbean. With all the excitement of sightseeing there was still an incredible sense of peace. Even now I wish I could return, but life doesn't work that way. You have to unpack your suitcases to settle back into routine. It just seems much harder this time.



2 comments: