Nov 11, 2012

When a Man Loves a Woman



This is one of my favorite songs. It doesn't matter what music has followed it or what is most played on my iPod at any given time, this song will come to mind almost every week. I think it is because it was such a big part of my teenage romantic heart.

I was a freshman in high school when the song came out. There was all the drama of wanting to have a boyfriend who would love me like the man in this song. Who wouldn't want that kind of undying devotion? I didn't realize at the time I would find a young boy who epitomized the song. 

I met my husband, Charlie, when I was barely seventeen. My heart was freshly broken and in my eyes no one could replace the boy I lost. It took a while for me to see the blessing right in front of me. Thank goodness Charlie was patient. We got engaged the summer we both turned eighteen. 

At age nineteen Charlie and I got married. There were many who felt we were too young. Of course we didn't think so. We had stars in our eyes and nothing would deter us. There was a bond that tied our hearts together with chords that life couldn't cut.

To bring it back to my favorite song, I found the man who would love me with all of his heart and strength in the manner Percy sang about. Charlie would give his life for me. I have never once doubted that. That summer when I was fifteen and pining for love fate was listening. I am so thankful I spoke loud enough for it to hear.



When a Man Loves a Woman


When a man loves a woman
Can't keep his mind on nothing else
He'll trade the world
For the good thing he's found
If she's bad he can't see it
She can do no wrong
Turn his back on his best friend
If he put her down

When a man loves a woman
Spend his very last dime
Tryin' to hold on to what he needs
He'd give up all his comfort
Sleep out in the rain
If she said that's the way it ought to be

Well, this man loves a woman
I gave you everything I had
Tryin' to hold on to your precious love
Baby, please don't treat me bad

When a man loves a woman
Down deep in his soul
She can bring him such misery
If she plays him for a fool
He's the last one to know
Lovin' eyes can't ever see

When a man loves a woman
He can do no wrong
He can never own some other girl
Yes when a man loves a woman
I know exactly how he feels
'Cause baby, baby, baby, you're my world

When a man loves a woman.....

5 comments:

  1. Susie this is one of my all-time favorite songs! I love your blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

      Delete
  2. I have to say--this is a fabulous song---great blog--I don't think I have seen this one yet--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey. I call this my whatever blog...whatever is on my mind I post. lol

      Delete
  3. Such a romantic story and a heartrending song to go with.

    ReplyDelete