Sep 24, 2012

Stirring My Pot of Doubts

Why is it when you embark upon the path to your dreams doubt throws stones at you? I am the worst about comparing my written work to that of others. Perhaps I shouldn't even say it is something I do, but this is my journal to speak honestly.

I wish it was easy to get over the feeling. Maybe I should step in front of my mirror and say in my best Stuart Smalley voice, "You're good enough, Your'e smart enough, and doggone it people like you!" Well, at least that would bring a giggle.

Doubt has been my unwanted companion for as long as I can remember. It manifested in stomach aches when I was a child. I'm sure you have had them. That phantom tummy ache that is fear you can't vocalize. Wouldn't it be easier to say, "I am afraid of rejection, so I choose to not do_____." (You can fill in the  blanks.) It isn't a way to live your life, but at least you own up to your fear.

I feel better...a little bit better. This facing your fear thing is going to take some work. I have a long list of things I am afraid to do. There goes my Super Woman persona. "Your'e good enough, Your'e........


10 comments:

  1. Happens to most of us. The more we think the lesser the chance of getting the project off the ground. Sometimes it is best to act first and think later!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in the process of doing that. My thinking has been more like, "What the hell do you think you are doing?" Thankfully I have someone to push me in the water when I won't jump in.

      Delete
  2. How's about a mantra, susie: along the lines of: I can do this, over and over? Besides, a laundry goddess.. what more can anybody want? something I have aspired to all my married life. Ever since I put a yellow dustcloth in with the new white sheets in my first weeks of keeping house. Ahem. and I haven't improved yet, although...I managed to get blueberry stains out last week. Am still basking in the glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aprille, That sounds like a great mantra. This Laundry Goddess has had her share of stains she couldn't get out. I must admit I am better at laundry than cooking. I would rather mow the yard. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm saying it too! You're good enough, Your'e smart enough, and doggone it people like you (and your writing) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Ben. It helps tremendously to have you speaking it right along with me. :)

      Delete
  4. The same here Susie, I hate myself for doing it.. You are so good it's scary.. I give anything to have talent like you..It's amazing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie. You are very talented. I love stopping by your page and reading your work..there are so many smiles and peace waiting there for me.

      Delete
  5. Admire your honesty. Sometimes the hardest person to be honest with is ourselves, forget the rest of the world. Think you're on the right track. You will persevere and be successful in spite of yourself, I can just feel it. Love your writing and word weaving, Susie. You are one of the masters in my book. Peace & Love and get busy, Girl! =) ~Isa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and support!

      Delete