Jun 14, 2012

The Selling of Me

Yesterday I typed in my name and found a sight that had shocked me, although it shouldn't have surprised me. It is called Spokeo. It's slogan is "Not Your Grandma's Phone Book." At least that is truth in advertising.

I typed in my name and it opened its electronic pages to all things me. For a price you could unlock my age, where I live, (including a photograph), how many people live in the house, the home's value, how much income I have, my phone number, e-mail addresses, every social network I am involved in along with postings and comments, photographs, videos (along with the ability to unlock them), my political affiliation...Well, I think you get the picture.

No one is safe in this electronic age from the rape of privacy. It doesn't matter if you don't have an online presence, information about your life will be for sale to anyone who wishes to buy it. The barcode hovers over you now from birth to death.

I think this eye opener has slapped me with the reality I no longer have to confess my sins because big brother is glad to act as my confession booth. At least it re-enforces within me to be a person of value and character because I am sitting on an electronic parking lot where anyone can kick the tires and buy me for the right price.


4 comments:

  1. "At least it re-enforces within me to be a person of value and character because I am sitting on an electronic parking lot where anyone can kick the tires and buy me for the right price."

    The image of the parking lot, car, and tire strongly resonate with me! I'm not going to hide, so I have to be 100% "a person of value and character." You speak my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...our character will come out. We must make it one worth seeing.

      Delete
  2. i removed all my family from this spokeo years ago but they recommend you do it every now and then it was shocking, I don't even do FB because of the personal stuff linked to your name at least with blog you are more hidden then attached by your full name :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice. I removed my name from it. It is scary what the world can find out about you.

      Delete