Jan 15, 2012

Stranded


Stranded

Magic in the Backyard’s Kellie Elmore has provided another wonderful prompt for her Free Write Friday.

You are stranded on a remote island with no hope of being rescued. You find only a pen, one sheet of paper and a bottle. You want to let people know what happened to you, who you are and how you wish to be remembered…



January 14, 2012…I am the only survivor of the fishing vessel, Elena, that went down in a storm off the coast of Beccisa Island on January 2, 2012
So this is it. My last days spent alone with no comfort but my thoughts. Ah the humor in it. I have spent the last years trying to escape thought. Now I have nothing but my own voice to sing a lullaby of madness. Before insanity swallows me I must write what I should have said to ears that could listen.

Dear World

My pen pierces
the paper with
the pointed jabs
I must make at myself.
This lead blade
must slice through
the mockery
to reveal what I am
not the comedy
I presented.

I hid my tenderness
to keep myself
from a broken heart.
How foolish to
withhold love
when the soul
becomes dry leather
because of it.
Regret leaves
a bile too hard
to swallow.

There is no money to be divided or jewels to pawn. My inheritance is wisdom taught from my failure.


Free your heart to love
if it is broken,
it will mend.
Hold back nothing
of who you are
because pride
wishes to silence you.

Read my words
and let their truth
tear you from
your self indulgence.
Love with all you are,
with all you have.
It is the bud from
which glory blossoms.


I leave this world with the only possession that I own…..a glass bottle containing a love note tossed into the sea.

©Susie Clevenger 2012
Free Write Friday



12 comments:

  1. I think you did an awesome job, Susie. This is really touching and sounds quite real. The sentiment expressed about love is also right on the mark! Well done!

    http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/dearest-wife-2/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been your best piece till now. I have no words to describe how I felt while reading the work. It was some universal wisdom that you spoke of and something we all possess. But more often than not, reveal it to our benefit. Outstanding poem. Loved every word of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An absolutely fabulous piece of writing. Congrats on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the best thing you can leave behind is wisdom for those remaining, that they may listen whole heartedly and learn, truly learn and use the knowledge given them. If only... right? What a perfect piece for this FWF! Thank you, Susie! xoxoxox

    my latest
    http://magicinthebackyard.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/shine-eternal/

    ReplyDelete