Nov 12, 2011

Thankful for Ordinary Days

This is the time of year that many sit down with family and friends to eat and share a gratitude list. I am so blessed and my list of blessings is long. One thing that most people take for granted or wouldn't think to put on a thanksgiving list is an ordinary day. Yes, I am thankful for an ordinary day. You know the kind. The alarm clock goes off to awaken you and the news is the signal it is time for bed. All the hours in between are filled with ordinary.

I am thankful for an ordinary day because all goes as expected. There have been days in the past few years that have not been ordinary. In 2004 I was standing looking at my husband, Charlie, when a doctor told him he had three to five minutes to live. All I could feel was fear and all I could hear was the clock ticking behind my head. My husband had two arteries that were more than 90 % blocked. The cardiologist informed him if he had a heart attack they couldn't save him. In that moment of holding my breath time went into fast forward. There were shots given, an ambulance called, and my husband on the way to a bigger hospital for an emergency double by-pass. My darling husband survived the odds and I have him today.

In 2006 I was coming home from Wal-mart when my ordinary day turned into a day that would change my life forever. I was sitting at a green light waiting for traffic across from me to turn when an eighteen year old girl who was texting ran a red light and hit me on the driver's side of my car. I went from listening to Jesus Take the Wheel to being unconscious in an ambulance. I had numerous injuries. I only have two memories of the accident, broken glass in front of my face and a flashback of red lights flashing and white light beckoning. In the flashback I hear myself saying, "I am going to die here and Charlie won't know." Then I spoke the words, "Goodbye Charlie." I suffered a traumatic brain injury that resulted in subtle personality changes and left me ADHD.  I am thankful to be alive and to have overcome many obstacles from the accident.

In 2008 my ordinary day took a painful turn. My oldest daughter, Dawn, called to tell us the kidney biopsy came back positive. She had kidney cancer and her left kidney would have to be removed. How do you wrap your head around the word cancer when it is your child? It was so difficult. I gathered all the strength and faith I had to believe all would go well. Today my beautiful daughter is doing well and has celebrated three years of being cancer free.

This Thanksgiving I do have a lot to be thankful for. My husband and daughters will be with me. We will sit at the dinner table to eat and give thanks. One of the things near the top of my list will be I am thankful for each
of my ordinary days.


magicinthebackyard

9 comments:

  1. First off, congratulations to Dawn on three healthy years! Continued blessings to you all.

    Thank you for sharing this with FWF. I too love those ordinary days. It is in those that we make little moments that will stay with us always. This was such a special share this week. Thank you so much!

    Love,
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Susie. Te more ordinary, the better. God bless you and yours!

    This poem is about one of my ordinary days: http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2011/11/20/precious-moments/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to look back and count your blessings.

    you rock.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith is remembering all the times that you made it through the days that were not ordinary. I am thankful for faith and each ordinary day. Thank you!

    ♥Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a story, Susan. So much to be thankful for. Blessings to you and your family this thanksgiving and so many after.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we should give thanks for our blessings. It is only when we experience these life threatening moments that we can truly appreciate this incarnation on earth.
    we can let the experiences destroy us or we can learn from them. My husband went out to do some small business in a nearby town and suddently fell dead in the street. It was late afternoon before the hospital answered his mobile to tell me.

    ReplyDelete