Nov 18, 2011

My Best Friend

Charlie and I the night of my senior prom in 1969


I met my best friend a week before my seventeenth birthday. It was a random introduction by another friend, Joanne. His name is Charlie and he is my husband of forty one years. Charlie knows me like no other person ever has or ever will. We started out two young kids not even sure of what our dreams were, but we believed in forever.

It is so true that we can finish one another's sentences or know what the other is thinking. We can't do it all the time, but there are those uncanny times when we say the exact same thing at the exact same moment. Both of us have the ability to figure out a T.V. or a movie plot from almost the rolling of the first scenes. There are so many things we both like and things we are polar opposites on. For example I lean to the left politically and he leans to the right. Our music tastes are very similar for the most part, but there are some very distinct differences. He isn't always happy with what is blasting from my ipod in the car, but he roles his eyes and bears it.

My husband has walked through some of my darkest days with me. I was a victim of sexual abuse as a child. It was a secret I kept until I was eighteen years old, and the first person I told was Charlie. The darkness so overwhelmed me I couldn't believe that my sweet young Charlie could love someone so damaged. He had no clue in the beginning as to the reasons for my sudden, unnatural fear and withdrawal from him. Finally the storm broke in me and I told him of my abuse from a family member. He loved me and saw me through the years of  pain to my healing.

I have the most incredible best friend in Charlie. It has and is an amazing life to spend my days with him. We are not perfect. The volume can go up in our disagreements especially when I flip the switch. We are two imperfect people who fit perfectly together. A few years a go I wrote him a poem for Valentine's Day. The emotion I felt then is still true today. It is titled My Love Sleeps.


My Love Sleeps

As you sleep next to me so close we could be one,
I watch silently as you dream.
Your gentle breath upon my face is like the
whispering wings of a butterfly.
I lie still and let myself feel all the love my heart holds for you.
Memories of all the years we have been together flood over me.
I remember the first time I saw you so tall-
so handsome- so young.
You reached out your hand and led me to the dance floor.
Without knowing it I was taken in the embrace of the one
who would be with me through all my tomorrows.
Recollections of strong arms cradling tiny little cherubs 
with rose bud cheeks flow through my memory,
little girls with doe eyes reaching up to be drawn
into the circle of your embrace to be held by your strength.
Whispers of the times I heard you proclaim your love
for me tease my ears while
the music of your laughter plays softly in my soul.
The harmony of our beings orchestrates a love song
that has no end.
Soon you will stir to begin your day,
but while I can I will hold my slumbering love.
I will keep you close for just a few more moments.
Dream on my love.
I am here with you.

©Susie Clevenger 


Charlie and I on a cruise 2010


Free Write Friday Prompt: Best Friends
magicinthebackyard

4 comments:

  1. Blessing to you both. A beautiful couple then and now.

    Thank you for sharing your lives here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem and pics are just so lovely. Thanks so much for sharing this post and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the best love poem I can say I have ever heard. written from the heart, no promises, no mumbo jumbo, just is. love is. so beautiful. so touching. definitely warms my heart, Susie. thank you for sharing this. you are courageous in telling your stories. God bless. ~Olive Tree.

    ReplyDelete