Oct 4, 2011

L is for Land (of a thousand dances)

I couldn't resist when I saw that the letter this week was L in ABC Wednesday. The song Land of a Thousand Dances immediately came to my mind. I thought perhaps I should try again. Love starts with L, but then I imagine many used that word. Licorice...no I can't stand the stuff. Who would want to read paragraphs of me complaining of my licorice aversion. Lilac...I love anything that has hints of purple which is my favorite color, but again I decided against it. Thinking and rethinking only brought me back to the song. So L is for Land of a Thousand Dances.

There have been different artists that have recorded the song, but Wilson Pickett's version is my favorite. His recording in 1966 became an R&B #1 hit. That was my freshman year in high school. As soon as I heard Wilson count 1- 2 -3 I was up on my feet dancing. There are six dances mentioned in that song and I could do every one of them. Well there is one exception. I didn't do the alligator. Just something about crawling around on a dance floor that just never appealed to me.

I have enjoyed my walk or should I say dance down memory lane. I was enamored with dance as soon as I could walk I think. I remember standing in line in the first grade waiting to go to the lunchroom. I had on my saddle oxfords,which I called my rock and roll shoes, and my teacher asked me to dance. She didn't have to ask twice. I immediately started dancing the moves I had Learned on American Bandstand. My classmates clapped and smiled and my teacher winked at me. I was in rock n roll heaven.

Whether it is a land of a thousand dances or just one I hope you will take a chance to dance a few steps. There is joy in movement. I have included Wilson Pickett's song to inspire you. Put on your dancing shoes and enjoy it.      Na na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na   :)





the notes move my feet
to dance upon memories
yesterday so near

©Susie Clevenger 2011


abcwednesday-mrsnesbitt


14 comments:

  1. Wonderful. Dance is a good form of relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what are those lyrics again? na. na na na na...
    great song
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya´need someone to help ya' say it one time? Na na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na

    I was a freshman that year also. Licorice, can't stand black, but red is ok and purple is my fav color. It must be generational coincidence. :)

    And you end it all with "yesterday so near". Indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remembered the song after I played it. It got my feet to movin'. Fun post for L day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice for the letter L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to dance! Thanks for bringing back to me this great Pickett song!
    Na, na, na, na, na!
    HelenMac
    ABCWednesdayTeam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfection! And a blast from the past for me.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to dance....no good at it, but I like it anyway!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it too..;)

    A good exercise to mind and body..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have two left feet Susie :D !! but I loved the song, quite fast paced and exciting, and it set my foot tapping!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great choice for L day for sure!
    Thanks for sharing;o)

    ***
    À bientôt****

    ps: purple is my favourite colour too;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Strange that you missed the one dance of the thousand that, with the exception of the Twist, has the largest current following. See https://sites.google.com/site/gatorpile for an in-depth review of the Alligator and its variants.

    ReplyDelete