Oct 13, 2011

Fibromyalgia

I am in the middle of a Fibromyalgia flare. I went to bed Tuesday night feeling pretty good and woke up Wednesday morning in intense pain and barely able to walk. I haven't used a cane in years, but I had to drag it out just to get around the house.

I hate feeling like this. It is scary because I never know how long a flare will last and how much strength I will lose because of it. There are drugs to treat it, but the side effects are numerous. My experience with one of the drugs, Ultram, resulted in a seizure. I decided to stay away from chemicals and treat it naturally which in my case means exercise and stretching.

Just writing about Fibromyalgia is difficult. My thoughts are a muddled mess, pain keeps trumping constructive thought. I should give up and go to bed, but another problem with the disorder is insomnia. Pain isn't happy to just rule my days it seeks to consume my nights also.

I have been trying to find the words to describe the pain. Imagine how your leg feels right as it begins to go into a spasm and then multiply it ten times. There is constant burning and knotting of my muscles, especially in my legs, when I am in a flare.

I think I have complained enough. I find writing to be therapeutic. My computer is my therapist and doesn't charge for its services. If it did, my bank account would be empty.


Here are some resources for further information on Fibromyalgia

http://www.fmaware.org/

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fibromyalgia/DS00079

3 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling better! That must be quite a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear of your pain Susie. I hope it doesn't stay long with you. I know very little about it but did read the sites you listed. Would trying to rest in a warm bath help? I pray you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. A former boss has Fibromyalgia, and she takes drugs to control the pain and other things. I hope that you find relief soon.

    ReplyDelete