Sep 9, 2011

Autumn and To Kill a Mockingbird


Autumn is one of my favorite seasons. Depending on what part of the country you live in it is as colorful as spring. The beauty of the trees as they are decorated by frost in yellows, oranges, and browns is breathtaking. Orange pumpkins decorate tables or doorsteps as jack-o-lanterns. The smell of harvest and the call of crows fill the air on chilly mornings.


I can't think of fall without thinking of To Kill a Mockingbird. I read the book for the first time when I was a child and it just happened to be in the fall. It is one of my favorite books and one of my favorite movies. The story captivated me from the first time I read the book. The character, Scout, is an outspoken tomboy with the ability to find herself in trouble at almost every turn. I identified with her growing up. I even had the same buster brown haircut.

The book had an impact on me. I was too young at my first reading to fully understand prejudice, but I saw it for myself many times. I can clearly remember the day segregation ended at my school. I was in the third grad and our teacher told us we would have new friends entering our class. It was an autumn day when the door opened to our classroom and history was made.

Yes I love fall. It is the time of harvest, color, chilly days, and memories. I will curl up on the longer evenings with a book and  daydream of how far I have come in life and look forward to all that lies ahead.
___________________________________________________________________________



I actually got to meet the actress who played Scout, Mary Badham at a library in Clear Lake Texas. It was like a dream come true to meet the person who brought Scout's character to life on the movie screen.



Written for Free Write Friday
Celebrating Autumn

magicinthebackyard

2 comments:

  1. wonderful post Susie. Autumn is my favorite season also. the leaves and the brisk chilly
    air make me glad to me allive.
    I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird - now
    perhaps is the time - this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CAN SMELL THE CRISP AIR, SEE THE LEAVES AND FEEL THE COMFORT OF CURLING UP WITH A BOOK. VERY NICE

    ReplyDelete